By Jeff Koonce
Portions Taken from the City of Albuquerque Mold Fact Sheet: Mold is a fungus found indoors and out. It creates tiny spores (like seeds) that allow it to spread and grow. Since mold is naturally occurring, all homes have a little bit of it which comes in from the outside.
In order for mold to grow it needs: 1) Moisture from leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding, steam or humidity build up in kitchens/bathrooms with poor fan ventilation. 2) Nutrition Source such as paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
We are all exposed to mold and not everyone is sensitive to it. The problem comes in with elevated levels in our homes. Mold sickness varies based on sensitivity. One family member can get very sick while the rest of the household has no obvious affect. Read about this Mayo Clinic Study: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/09/990910080344.htm
Symptoms of mold sensitivity include: Nose/throat, eye/skin irritation, coughing, wheezing, asthma symptoms. The NIH says, “individuals with chronic respiratory disease may have difficulty breathing; people who are immunocompromised may be at increased risk for lung infection.” Babies and the elderly as especially vulnerable as well as those with fatigue (including chronic) and brain fog.
Mold Free Now New Mexico can test your home and provide a remediation estimate. We a NEW process with a non-toxic disinfectant so safe that it’s commonly used on fruits/vegetables to kill bacteria and mold (and an innovative product that literally kills mold/mold spores that come in contact with it. Working with this method is safer than traditional remediation, more effective and best of all, more economical!